Photo: The Glasgow Story
On April 25, 1898, fire struck Glasgow's Dunlop Street.
The Glasgow Story website provides details:
"The blaze began at about 10pm in the building on the north-east corner of Dunlop Street and Howard Street, which had apparently been lined with wood as it was built during a plasterers' strike. Within five minutes, the roof had fallen in.
"As crowds gathered to witness the spectacle, Captain William Paterson brought two steam fire engines from the Central Fire Station in College Street and called for four more from other divisions around the city.
"Three of these engines drew water from the River Clyde as the fire spread across Dunlop Street and engulfed buildings as far as Ropework Lane to the east."
Statuary was moved from nearby St Andrews Cathedral as flames threatened to spread west.